Never Let Me Go

So once I had finished with true crime I went back to something a little lovely and well it was more then I expected. It was wonderful, I spent the first part thinking 'these kids never seem to get a holiday' until I realised these 'kids' were not ordinary kids. With the all the new developments in science (be they amazing and fantastic), I can understand the horror this advancement could have on the world, but the whole way through the novel I felt more sorrow then fear.

These children were still children, but they were children with their lives already done. Their experiences were on borrowed time, their lives had already been bought and the only way of avoiding the inevitable fourth donation was to be a carer. But really you are then only circling the drain from a bit of a distance (or is that an awful way of trying to describe it?) they know that eventually they will become donors, donors who are created so people (real people...or so they believe themselves to be) can live on, survive cancer and any other life threatening disease. Throughout the novel I felt these people were stalking the main characters, that any brief bit of joy they had was somehow shadowed by the inevitable. But it never took away the simple way I began to love them.

Kathy, Tommy and Ruth were so real, so perfect that knowing they would not live forever, marry, have children, and enjoy all life's potentials filled me with sadness. However, I also laughed, felt myself bursting with glee when Kathy found her tape and when...well I suppose I won't tell you any more of my favourite moments as that would spoil it...but trust me this book is full of hope.

Hope that is something that you can just about touch, but seems always to pull away at the last moment and all of a sudden you realise the importance of such simple moments. The way a sunset looks, the tune of a favourite song, the moment with people you love when everything is calm and still. The true meaning of friendship and forgiveness.

If you couldn't tell I am a bit in love with this book. I'm eager to see the film, but of course, like all book lovers wary of what it will do to my perfect experience of reading it.

Like Remains of the Day this book will be constantly haunting me in the best way possible. Read it, I beg you.

No comments:

Post a Comment