To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

So, I have no Internet, am just recovering from a hideous cold and have just moved home...all adds up to no blog posts but plenty of reading so on we go!

I had genuinely forgotten how incredible 'To Kill a Mockingbird' was. I suppose the last time I read it I was 13 and it was for English class. I remember enjoying it, but when I picked it up again all I could remember was Boo and the trial. I think that is all most of us remember, that and Gregory Peck (because, of course, we always remember Gregory Peck!). But the book is truly masterful.

Reading it as an adult (okay, a sort-of, nearly- adult, I'm pretty immature you know!) was a completely new experience. Scout was even more fantastic as I could actually understand nearly everything she said. I so wished I too had had a father like Atticus and a brother like Jem. If I had who knows how I would have turned out?! Most of all I just revelled in the brilliant use of language and literary style that made her children seem believable even though they spoke like adults. It managed to bring together so many different aspects of life in that small town you almost felt you were walking around in it.

I particularly loved the moments I had completely forgotten about; the dirt snowman, the flowers, the costume and the trip to church. All of which were glorious. I cannot recommend this book enough. It is high time for a second read or even a third or fourth. You will always find a new element to it, a new angle that breaths fresh life into a book you think you already know.

Go on, enter your local bookshop, library or even charity shop if you are that way inclined; they will hand you this wonderful book and trust me you will not regret it. Classic must-read stuff over here that is not just for children!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment