Fallen and Torment by Lauren Kate

Okay, so I am writing about these two books together, because I read them very quickly and they are the first two instalments in the Fallen quartet (next book out in Summer 2011). 'Fallen' was quite interesting, after the whole Twilight thing I was expecting something more along that vein and it did deliver, but I like the angel thing. I like the whole twisting and turning of biblical and general history and a challenge to our minds about who to trust and our inability to see what people truly are from the beginning, both good or bad.

Luce, the female protagonist, is being sent to a reform school called Sword & Cross because she was involved in the death of a student from her last school and cannot seem to remember what happened. She remembers being about to kiss Todd and then there were flames and fire and maybe a few Announcers swept down as well, but she wasn't telling either her parents or the police about them. Her whole life Luce could see these weird shadows that seemed to follow her, appearing sometimes out of the blue and they terrify her.

Now, Luce is at Sword & Cross and it is horrible. I really dislike this school, but I love the colourful characters that litter this book, Arriane is my favourite. Anyway, this is really a story about obsessive love, a love Luce discovers she has for Daniel and they are star-crossed lovers really. Well, they have been for the past couple centuries at least, thou Luce doesn't remember this.

Okay, I'm stopping now, because it will ruin the ending, but 'Torment' continues the story and I actually like it more then 'Fallen'. Miles is super sweet and part of me does want Luce to throw in the towel on the whole Daniel thing, he's a little bit too Edward intense. The characters are great here too and the change of scenery is pretty and different, but most of all I love the idea of the Announcers, its inspired. Also the ending is fantastic, very different, very good and really can we handle another sappy female protagonist, well I can't, at least with Luce I can see a little bit why all these guys love her so much.

Anyway, if your a teenager buy it, if you like Twilight buy it, basically if you have an interest and mental age of 15 buy it. I enjoyed it and am now really annoyed that I have to wait until the Summer for my next little fix. Also the covers are beautiful!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment