Neverwhere

Loved it!

Having never read Neil Gaiman before I was apprehensive, with good reason I suppose, as the sci-fi section of bookshops always seem so dark and frightening, mostly because I'm afraid I look rather stupid looking around there, having no idea what I'm looking for. The last sci-fi book I read was Hitch-Hikers Guide, which I know isn't that cool. But to all you other people out there who can't bare the trip into the dark depths of sci-fi and fantasy, brave it for this book.

It was beautifully written, wonderfully frightening, compelling and the characters were fantastically drawn. Mostly, I just loved the idea of a London Above and London Below. I shall be checking all stations for secret London Below people and all walls that appear to have no doors. The magical element to this novel was never surprising, which may seem rather odd, but Gaiman made it all seem so natural. I could happily of kept on reading, Door and her fellow London Belowers were wonderful and colourful.

I do wish to beg for more London Below stories. I, like Richard, feel strange in London Above I need my London Below. So I am giving out a little plea for more stories of Door and Richard, the Marquis and all the other strange and wonderful stories Gaiman can think of. I enjoyed this book so much I picked up Stardust the other day and now am no longer the crazy girl who wanders aimlessly around the sci-fi section. I go straight to Neil Gaiman and debate on which one to buy. If anyone out there has any great novelists like Gaiman to suggest, please do so.

Honestly, read this book if you haven't yet! It is truly amazing.

(Just so you know, I did not want to give away any bits of the story, but it is about a man named Richard who saves a girl's life one night and whose life is never the same again. Or at least that's one way of looking at it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment