Underworld by Meg Cabot

Oh my oh my! Pierce Oliviera is in the underworld once more, but this time the gorgeous lord of the dead (John - you remember him right?!) won't let her go! Not now he's finally found her!

Meg Cabot has a gift, a gift for writing incredible romances for teens, if I may say so, she is the Queen of Teen! Underworld is just another example of her ability, she is a maverick - twisting the Persephone story into a teen romance really tops it all. I hardly remembered the myth when I opened the book (Hardback from America - yep it's not even out in the UK yet), but Cabot easily weaves interesting insight into the myth (like the whole wasn't Persephone a demi-goddess or something and wouldn't she totally know all about the eating in the underworld thing?!) with true teen moments including, worrying about your hair, or what that guy is thinking! How does she do it?

Pierce is also definitely growing on me as a heroine, I almost wished I could step right through the book and become her best friend. But I still think Suze from the Mediator series is my favourite.

I also love John, he is the strong silent type but with all the power and sex appeal (ok in my head people) of Angel from Buffy (when he's not a vampire - obviously!). Sensitive and hiding some pain away beneath his rough exterior he is every teenage girls dream, oh and he is hunky too (did I say that already?)!

Oh to list all the wonderful things about this book would be far too difficult, but lets get down to it - you get to go to the Underworld and meet all kinds of wonderful people (Henry is adorable and I think I'm a little in love with Frank), but it is also an Abandon novel so there has to be a chase, some Furies and to top it all off a cliffhanger ending! If you have read any Cabot before you will know that she is a fantastic writer who pulls you straight into the story and this like her other novels takes place over a short period of time. I only wonder how I will manage to survive until the final book in the trilogy comes out?

No comments:

Post a Comment