Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl

I read a quote on the back of this book and knew instantly it was the book for me - 'Brilliant. Guaranteed to join The Secret History and The Virgin Suicides as one of those rare books to become a cult hit and instant classic.' - Sunday Telegraph

Two of my all time (top 10) books and if Marisha Pessl could even come close to writing a story like those two classics I knew I had to try it. Creaking open the spine of this pretty hefty and small of print novel was exhilarating. Helped by it being on a plane about to jet off for a weekend away, this book was highly anticipated. I had very high hopes and I must say they were fulfilled. My only quibble was with the ending, but really when compared to the rest of the story, the ending is almost pointless to mention.

Marisha Pessl definitely knows what she is doing with a pen/computer - she knows how to write! There were so many moments where I wished I was one of those people who highlight books, there were so many sentences, paragraphs, brilliant lines that I wanted to remember forever. I needed them, the way I need air on a daily basis and getting to read this book was as refreshing, mindblowing and terrifying as I expected. I was barely grasping onto normality by a fingernail during the week I devoured this book (work got in the way). This is a brilliant, beyond brilliant book and I urge you all to indulge your senses and give yourself up to the twisted and brilliant tale of Blue van Meer.

Here is a bit about the story - I don't want to ruin it for you, it really is too sensational to not read, so here is a little extract:
'I wrote this account one year after I'd found Hannah Dead.
I thought I'd managed to erase all traces of that night within myself.
But I was wrong.
Every night when I tried to sleep, I'd close my eyes and see her again, exactly as I found her, hanging from a pine tree by an orange electrical cord, her neck twisted like a tulip stem, her eyes seeing nothing.
Or else that was the problem. They'd seen everything.'

No comments:

Post a Comment